12.23.2010

Hunger




Recently I've been really slacking on my breakfast eating. It's hard for me to eat when I'm not hungry. But my metabolism has been burning hardcore with the cold weather. I think that maybe it's using up quite a bit more energy trying to keep me warm.

My solution is to get going early enough to eat a big breakfast of eggs and cereal or toast before I hit the road. The delicate balance, though, is to eat early enough that I don't feel like I have a stuffed belly through the ride. It takes me about a half hour to digest enough to feel good.

So the routine has changed yet again due to weather. It's just another nuance to riding year round. It's fun to learn new stuff again every season.

But I'm learning that eating a big breakfast does help a ton (duh). I just need to make the big commitment. How about you? What are your eating habits before the morning commute?


Get out there.

3 comments:

  1. Stoneagefamily again... My breakfast is one slice of bacon timed to be done at the same time as a slice of my wife's bread grilled on the same griddle along with an egg fried over easy all put together in a fold-over sandwich. With that is a stout cup of coffee. I am usually good for the ride in about ten minutes. That is all te time I can allot. I wake up at 4am to be at work by 5:45am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Stoneagefamily - That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rided in 10 miles and all I do is get up and go. Sometimes I'll drink a small glass of OJ or even water but usually I just throw on the clothes, ride to work, then shower there. I have a pretty relaxed job so I can eat (and do most every morning) a small bowl of oatmeal in my office. And of course 4 cups (as measured by the pot, not 4 glasses) of black coffee and a bunch of water all morning. I would love to eat before I leave but I just cant force myself out of bed! I love breakfast!

    ReplyDelete