11.23.2011

When a Bad Idea is Good

Mondays are my day to take the boys to school. That means that I come to work on four wheels instead of two.

This past Monday was no different. I drove into work in the cold rainy weather and stared at the bike I had left over in my office, wishing I was riding... wishing it was nice out. But alas, the bike in my office was my geared Cross Check. No fenders for rain. And I had no jacket or rain gear with me.

As the day progressed, I realized the short holiday week was going to mean the pace at work would certainly be sped up. And when the pace increases, so does the stress. If you're reading this blog, you're most likely like me. The best remedy for stress is to get outside and ride.

So what was my bad idea? How about I ride home with no rain gear? How about I take this fenderless bike and just roll my pant leg up on my khakis and hit the road? How about I let the rain soak through my t-shirt onto this ol' body that's been sick for two weeks? Could the mental value be greater than the physical cost? Yes. Yes it could.

Right at five o'clock, I hopped on the bike in the rain and mashed on the pedals. I pushed it hard to stay warm in the wintry rain. I breathed hard and made it home in record time. Was it a good idea? Nope. Was it the best decision? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Being outside does so much good for me. I'm glad I made the right choice.

Get out there.

3 comments:

  1. All though all of my bikes usually have fenders, I'm not totally averse to riding in the rain without them.

    On the other hand, riding without a rain jacket in our recent weather is pretty extreme. Glad you were able to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ David - I usually keep fenders on all my bikes, too. I can't remember why I took them off the CC. I'm sure I had a good reason, though!

    ReplyDelete