7.07.2011

Solitude

One of the things I value most about riding my bike is the solitude that it offers. That's not to say that I don't enjoy a social ride every now and then. But being alone is a huge value for me.

I work in a pastoral and leadership based job. That means I'm surrounded by people and in conversations nearly the entire work day. My favorite place on the planet is my home and it's filled with my favorite people on the planet. But I've learned that I'm a better man for my wife and three kids when I get some solid alone time throughout the week.

I'm trying to make a practice to stop off at least once a week and sit outside in a special place to read and be alone. Today was a great opportunity for such a break. No cars. No people. Just a cool breeze, a good book on the Kindle and a thermos of coffee.

Get out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment