10.10.2013

The Klunker is Done

Last night I finished up the Klunker build. At this point, it's ready for just about anything I can throw at it.
New Kenda K-Rad 2.3" tires will make for good street riding and dirt. Plenty of cushion when the pressure is low but at 80 psi they float across pavement really well. I loved them on the ride in this morning.
And the basket took some finagling to get right. With some grinding and filing, the struts are not completely bolted on. No zip ties anymore.

I'm super pleased with this build. In fact, I'm concerned that I may love this bike too much. The commute in today was a blast. It's fun to have a bike that is generalized enough to do just about anything well... and it's value is almost nothing.

Get out there.

4 comments:

  1. "It's fun to have a bike that is generalized enough to do just about anything well... and it's value is almost nothing."

    Your line speaks about most all 80s and 90s steel mountain bikes. The funny thing is they become valuable to the owner. I own two such bikes, and while they aren't especially pretty or have value on the market, I would feel awful if they were taken.

    Way to go on a nice looking "beater".

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you like a front basket compared to a rear rack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. It's great for small stuff or short commutes. There's just no need for a bag or pannier. For an "around town" bike it works really well. You may just be running to Subway for lunch or to the down the street to read at the coffee shop and the basket works well for those small items that go along with you. Weight distribution and capacity would be an issue if you were carrying a lot. The LHT has a basket and rear rack. So it will do both. But this morning on the Klunker I threw some stuff in the basket and took along a small backpack.

      Delete