9.06.2012

Loaded Up and Truckin'

For one reason or another, I had quite a load for this morning's commute. Both panniers were filled pretty well and the weight was much more than a usual ride to work. Big deal? Nope. Just one more ride that had me in awe of the Long Haul Trucker.

Some of this difference is due to minor things like tire size and adjustments. But 95% of the noticeable handling difference is the bike itself. This frame wants you to load it up. It just holds it's line smoothly and trucks up and down hills like a... well, like a loaded down semi truck. Perhaps I'll bootleg some Coors down to Georgia on this bad boy. Anyone want to get a snazzy fast road bike and be my blocker?

Get out there.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, sometimes I can't stand the ride of my LHT. That's usually when it's un-loaded. You mash on the pedals and nothing happens, and it climbs like a dog.

    On the other hand, I absolutely love my LHT when it's got a full load of front and rear panniers. It rides so rock solid and I can easily bomb the downhills confidently. It's amazing. I can't imagine loading up any of my other bikes and expecting them to handle like the LHT does. It was made to haul and does it better than most other bikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's not, in any way, as nimble and responsive as the Cross Check. But I'm learning that there's a certain line when taking the LHT feels better than the Cross Check on the commute. It's usually when I've got laptop and other stuff with me that makes me choose the LHT.

      Delete
  2. I've been rethinking my LHT for Troll switch. I grew accustomed to the absurd sureness of the LHT under load. The Troll is a fun ride, but even with a commuter load it waggles like a snake. I have a feeling another switch is in my future, at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. It makes me want to throw a rack on the troll and test it myself since i've gotten such a good feel for the LHT now.

      Delete