Well, after yesterday's post, I started to feel a little guilty about my Xtracycle neglect. My wife was gone, so I pulled out all the tools and work stand to overhaul the drivetrain of my bike.
I got about 45 minutes into it and realized I was, in no way, prepared to take this on. I should have made sure I had all the pieces and parts before I pulled everything off the bike. Lesson learned. The shifters I was going to use didn't work. One of them was damaged in storage somehow. All I can say is, it worked when I pulled it off my MTB but it didn't work last night. The wheel I was going to use had no skewer. Seems like a simple fix, right? Nope. I searched my garage high and low, yet somehow couldn't find a QR skewer anywhere. It's one of those things that I guess I used to fix someone else's bike. Dang.
After about three or four more infractions against my efforts, I gave up. I put the old drivetrain back on the Xtra and put all my crap away.
I did decide to give it a little love, though. I cleaned the entire bike and threw on some accessories. This was one I've been meaning to do for a while...
You can see on the right side where the v-racks drop into the Free Radical frame. Well, water gets down in there and doesn't leave. After it rains, I can see standing water in the FreeRad... not good for a steel frame. I sliced up some inner tubes and slid them over the v-racks and FreeRad. This way, no water's gonna get in there.
Other than that, I installed a front rack and gave everything a tune up. I'll fill you in on the why and what with the front rack later.
Get out there.