Again, all I wanted was some support via a backrest for my kids and something that would fold flat when not in use. Here's what I came up with...
When they're unfolded or "up," they depend on the straps' tension to keep them upright. You can adjust the straps at the buckle to offer more reclining angle if the kids choose to chillax a bit. I wanted something like this that would offer different support for different sized kids. It's also the same mechanism that holds the backrests down when it's time to haul some cargo.
Just drop the seats and pull the straps tight. You virtually have a regular SnapDeck for all intents and purposes. You could toss on some cargo or another adult passenger without having the clutter of bulky kid seats. I really like the final product. I made the straps with buckles to facilitate another option for strapping down cargo if I wanted to. Now that it's there, I'm not sure it's really necessary. But it certainly won't hurt anything.
If I changed anything I think it would be the thickness of the wood. One inch thickness is overkill. It doesn't make a difference in functionality. But I do have an unfounded desire for this kids' seat to look exactly like an original SnapDeck when folded down. Using half inch board would have come a bit closer. Maybe I'll try it on version 2.0.
Now the only thing left is to disassemble, paint or stain, then put it back together. I'm going to take some time to decide on color finish. In the meantime, we'll get some great use out of it. We used it for the last five days and everything has been great. I'm glad I took on the DIY challenge.
Get out there.