9.27.2013

Klunker

Wednesday night I spent the evening building up this beauty. I think it's a early 90's Trek 800. It spent some time as an Xtracycle, but I've recently wanted to mix it up a bit. Knobby tires, Nitto North Road bars and a basket make it a good all-around Klunker/Beater bike.
This came about for two reasons; I wanted a loaner MTB and I wanted a bike that could replace the LHT when I wanted something a bit more expendable. There's not a lot of bikes that would do both. But the build on this seems to play both sides of that field pretty well. I'd have no beef with locking this thing up for hours at a time. But I could also push its 1x6 gearing around the MTB park if I loaned the Troll to a friend.

It's comfy, beefy and stout. I'm excited for it to come into it's own.

Get out there.

7 comments:

  1. Very practical. I happen to love those 80s-90s mountain bike frames. They are strong and have braze-ons to accommodate racks and fenders. In my opinion they are underrated. I bet you'll use this more than you think. And is it also in your favorite color - black?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a lot like the Trek 800 I have, but a bit shinier. I love the 90s MTBs! Stout frames and easily customizable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really rough when you get a good look at it. But it'll do the work!

      Delete
  3. I like this bike! I have an early 90's Specialized Hard Rock that I'm wanting to build up into a commuter/wife bike. The 90's bikes are strong and solid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to swing by sometime and show you what I'm starting with to get your educated feedback.

      Delete