6.07.2012

Solitude

There's a big world out there and there's a whole lot of people in it. I'm a guy who likes his alone time. I like any opportunity I can get to be outside by myself and soak up some solitude. But a pastoral job and a small house with six people under it's roof means that these bike rides are about all the solitude I get. And don't get me wrong. I love most people and I ABSOLUTELY love those people I share that little house with. But I deeply appreciate these rides.

The decompression that happens in my mind is a spiritual one when I'm on the bike. It refreshes me in a way that makes me a better man. This morning, as I turned the cranks on my bike, I found God, I found rest, I found beauty and I found an opportunity to recharge.

One of my favorite verses in scripture is Psalm 18:19, "He stood me up on a wide-open field; I stood there saved - surprised to be loved." I offer you the DPT (Derrick Purvis Translation), "He stood me up on a wide-open road; I pedaled there saved - surprised to be loved."

I love riding my bike.

Get out there.

6 comments:

  1. That fits me exactly. Great post. As an introvert I love my alone time too and on my bike is one of the best places I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. It's different for everyone. My wife loves running. But for me, it all clicks on the bike.

      Delete
  2. Totally relate. I enjoyed the sentiments. It seems when I'm less distracted from God's creation, the easier it is to see Him.

    The photo matches the words nicely.

    ReplyDelete