2.26.2013

Wet Weather Gear

Lots of people let wet weather deter them from riding. They think it's going to take a lot of investment to get all the right stuff for sloppy rain commutes. Here's a few quick thoughts from my senseless mind.
Nice bags are great. Mine were expensive (to my standards) but would last me the rest of my life if all I ever did was bike commuting. There's almost no chance that water would get in there. But you don't have to spend that. For years, I had cloth bags that I used with my clothes inside a rolled up garbage bag. I don't think anything ever got wet. Go for it. You may love riding in the rain. If you love it, invest in some nice bags. It's worth a try.
For wet weather attire, I wouldn't go crazy expensive. It was 39 degrees this morning and I rode in a pair of Walmart sweatpants. My rain jacket was twenty bucks.  I've been wearing a Buff over my face to keep crap from flying into my mouth. It doesn't really keep me warm. It's just deflecting nasty road grit.

Should you ride your bike in the rain? I would probably tell you to try it. If you try it and realize it's something you may do more of, maybe think about a single speed beater bike. But a few rides a year won't be terrible. Keep your chain lubed if you give it a try. But don't be terrified of riding your bike in the rain.

Just give it a try. You don't need a whole lot to get out in the rain.

Get out there.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoneagefamily here, good to see you are still at it. After a LONG break to recover from Fibromyalgia I am gearing up (literally) for a return to bike commuting. I have some quirks now that I have to overcome...enter ecospeed electric assist. I am waiting for it to arrive and in the meantime building up my 2007 Kona Dr. Dew. I got the rack and Ortleib bags, schwalbe marathon supreme tires with slime tubes. I am waiting for the Jones H-bars as well. Once I have it all installed and break it in I plan to sell my car. One of the best parts is that my commute includes a ferry ride across San Diego Bay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that you're well and heading back out on the bike! I hope the transition is easier than expected!

      Delete
  3. At that temperature (or lower) its the toes that freeze up on my commute. Really, still don't have this quite figured out and it can really discourage me from riding on a cold morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Wilson - Low tech toe save: Put on regular socks then a shopping bag, then a winter sock then your shoes. Vary the socks depending on temps outside, but the bag is the magic that keeps your feet warm. The bag is like an oven using your own heat so it can get toasty if you use socks that are too warm.
      For more expensive solutions there are winter cycling boots that accept cleats, but they are totally not required.
      -Stoneagefamily

      Delete
    2. I wear my hiking boots with wool socks. They're heavy duty enough to keep my toes warm. But I've heard of lots of folks using plastic bags like the suggestion above. I'd wear wool socks, if I did that, though. My feet would get sweaty with bags. And wool stays warm even when it's wet. Good luck finding a solution, though!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, I have been riding on my new Trek Madone (a get well (more of a command than sentiment) gift from my wife) up to twenty miles as part of my rehab exercise. My commute isn't that far one way, but there are some pretty BIG hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind riding under the rain when I am in a field. In the summer time I actually like it. My problem now is during the week because I commute by bike everyday with my folding bike. When it's raining the number of cars on the roads seem to almost double from non rainy days, which makes cycling more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete