12.24.2010

The One Deterrent

I think I've said this before, but I'm seeing it all over the place again... fog. Fog is the one thing that truly deters me from riding my bike. When fog comes out, it seems like there's nothing I can do to control it. I can wear lights in the dark, layers in the cold and waterproof gear in the rain. But there isn't much I can do to make myself that much more visible in this fog.

Sometimes I wonder if it's a geographical issue. Is fog this thick everywhere you go? Sometimes this stuff gets so nasty that you begin to measure your visibility in feet instead of miles. When that starts happening, I'll grab the keys to the Subaru, toss the bike on the rack and commute home from work after it all clears.

This last week one of those days came about. Too much fog. The good thing about this stuff is that it clears with the morning sun and we're able to hit the road quickly enough.

Get out there.

1 comment:

  1. We get thick fog sometimes, and I ride in it. Bright clothes and blinking lights seem to do the trick. But, my commute is almost entirely on small roads with low speed limits. If I'm doing a recreational ride, I just avoid bigger/faster roads, and it seems to work out fine.

    ReplyDelete