10.16.2012

Exploring Around Home


A few weeks ago I started exploring a new area of roads I had never been on before. When you're on your bike, it's easy to stick with what you know. I had gotten into the bad habit of riding the same routes over and over again for the sake of simplicity. What eventually happens (at least with me) is that you get bored and have less desire to go out and ride.

With a little motivation, I began to seek out new roads, dead end or not, to have a better understanding of what's around my house. Saturday, I went out for a 20 miler, and saw some beautiful landscapes.
Many of the roads are like this; one lane, zero traffic. This, however is an example of an unknown road leading to nowhere. I pedaled hard up a mile long ascent to eventually roll up on a closed gate. On some days that would be frustrating. But it wasn't bad. Leaves are changing colors and new sights are always engaging to the mind. No big deal.
This bridge was at the bottom of a massive hill. It's probably the fastest I've ever gone on a bike. I actually got a little nervous. But here at the bottom is a beautiful scene. Everything out here is private property. But I'd love to cozy up with these people and start squatting here for lunches and whatnot.
Here's a shot from standing on the bridge. This creek runs all over the area. I must have crossed it 15 times on this one ride.
Lots of climbing around a creek, though. The photo above is a hill I had just climbed. It drops off in the distance, but went on for another half mile or so.

This ride made me love the Cross Check. I've been putting so many miles on the LHT, that I've forgotten what it feels like to have a more nimble bike under me. It accelerates so much faster and climbs with much more ease. Honestly, I've thought about replacing it with another LHT. This ride had me wavering on that idea.

I'm appreciative of my Kentucky home when I have rides like this. It's a beautiful place to live.

Get out there.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Looks like it was a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the resident long-term Surlyist I could have informed you of a said LHT/CC dichotomy. Enjoy both, but for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete