10.19.2011

Red River Gorge Trip

Jeff, Mike and I headed to the Gorge for a three day trip last week. There wasn't any bike action, but being outside for three days was certainly worth sharing. We had a great time.

There's always beautiful views this time of year. We're probably a couple weeks away from peak colors in the leaves.
I love to go camping on the bike. But this trip had a lot of car time. I love my little Subaru.

The photos above are of Princess Arch. We ended up here both nights for camping. We camped near the arch with the anticipation of rain (which was a wise choice). The first morning brought on a lot of rain. We were able to sit under the arch, stay dry, and consume coffee while it died off.
Early morning brought a lot of rain on the hammock, but I kept a tarp over top of me. It worked great the first night... not so great on night two.
Coffee time in the woods is so nice.

Our next point of interest was Creation Falls. It's a cool little spot that's close to Rock Bridge (in the photo below). We fished here for a couple hours. Nothing big was caught, but I did get a whole bunch of little creek chubs.


The photo above is me sitting on Rock Bridge drinking, yet again, another cup of coffee.
Thursday afternoon was full of rain. We were pretty tired so we found a picnic area, laid out our stuff to dry, and took a nap.


The photos above are of Whittleton Trail. While we were on our way out, a monsoon of water came down from the sky. We hiked in under an arch and waited it out for a while. This was the wettest we got on the entire trip. But we kept our spirits up and enjoyed the time outside with great scenery.

Crawdad and salamander enjoying the damp weather.
The forecast was calling for a lot more rain, so we headed back to Princess Arch late that night. We knew we'd want the optional cover. It took a little amateur repelling to get down to our spot. Mike looks like a pro, even in the dark :)
I got so wet in the hammock at one point, I moved into the shelter of the arch. From there, I was able to sleep like a baby. This photo was taken as I woke up.


It was a great trip. I hope to get back there soon.

Get out there.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful area. I wasn't familiar with it.

    By the way, my wife has a Forester she bought new, a 2002. It now has 196,000 miles on it and still going strong. I keep suggesting we should buy her another one since she drives so much. But she wants to keep this, she just loves her Subaru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Doug - It really is a beautiful area. It draws people from all over the world and it's only a 40 minute drive from my house.

    I've seen pics of your Forester before. It really is an awesome car. Mine is a '98 and it's been solid as a rock. It's carried lots of bikes, boats and kids all over the place without fail. I hope to drive it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems you enjoyed the car time as much as the camp. Though I understand why – just look at that sleek Subaru you have. Driving that must be an awesome experience, what with its nicely weighted steering and body control. Here’s to more years of adventure with such an amazing ride!

    Lance Gross @ Royal on the Eastside

    ReplyDelete