9.22.2011

Dedication


Yesterday, as I pedaled home in the rain, I noticed a lot of golfers out in their slickery rain get-ups swinging away at the tee. I thought to myself, "Sheesh, those guys are nuts. Who would want to play golf when it's poring down like this?"

Then it hit me.

They're looking at me wondering the same thing. "Who would ride their bike in the rain? This guy must be a lunatic."

The truth is, I love to ride my bike in the rain. It's a unique experience. It changes the mundane into a new adventure. And for the fair-weather golfer, I suppose that playing in foul weather is a fun change for them, as well. They're dedicated to golf like I am riding. I'm a better person when I ride and I suppose they are better when they play. I solute you and your dedication, rainy golf guys. Way to stick to it.

Get out there.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I don't care so much to ride TO work in the rain, but I don't mind when home is my destination.

    I have always believed if you truly love some activity you will do it in any conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chris - The worst part about riding to work in the rain is explaining to everyone how and why you do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with (the other) Chris - I don't mind riding home in the rain, but I don't like riding to work. I guess maybe if I always kept a towel and a dry pair of shoes and socks, but that would require a lot of forward thinking and planning, and the weather is too unpredictable for that sort of thing. But recently, I got a folding bike that I can take on the bus if it's raining, and then ride home. This means I can get to work with reasonably dry feet, but I can still ride home when it doesn't matter as much. (Also - bike stays dry during the day - I can store it under my desk!). I've been really happy with it because it's let me ride a lot more than I otherwise would have.

    ReplyDelete